A new passport can be issued on the expiry, or up to one year before expiry, of any passport, which had an initial validity of 10 years. To apply for a new passport, following documents are required to be submitted:
- Duly filled and printed online application form (https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/) with two ink signatures (first page below the photo and last page in signature box). Kindly mention proper Indian address in application form for purpose of Police verification (two addresses are required in the application form, one address should be from India and other/current address in Foreign country).
- Three square shape colour photos, size 2 inch x 2 inch (51mm x 51mm). Detailed information: (photo spec pdf)
- Original damaged passport
- Police Report in case of lost/stolen of passport
- Self-attested copies of your current passport first and last pages
- Self-attested copies of your residence permit (both sides)
- Proof of payment (Fee-receipt). Payment by bank transfer only.
Payment details: (consular fee)
NB! If any of your personal details have changed since the issuing of your current passport (i.e. change of name, change of printable address in passport in India or abroad, update of marital status), you will need to submit additional documents. When a new/re-issue of passport is being issued, no additional fee is charged for change of address, update of marital status and for change of name.
Additional documents required for change of printable INDIAN address in passport:
- proof of the new address such as copy of your voting card/Aadhaar card/driving licence/electricity bill, bank statement, rent agreement etc.
Additional documents required for change of printable FOREIGN address in passport:
- proof of the new address such as copy of electricity bill, telephone bill, bank statement, rent agreement etc.
Additional documents required in case of change in Name:
Documents required from India
(This would not be applicable for temporary residents and visitors from India or third countries)
- Clippings of two local newspapers or the Gazette notification of the concerned State Government, as the case may be; and
- At least two public/school documents issued in the desired name to ascertain that the applicant has actually changed his name.
Documents required from Estonia
- For those who have been staying abroad on long term permanent or work, student visa/permit, two public documents issued by the local (Estonia) government/local school/educational institution where the student is enrolled may be accepted. This would not be applicable for temporary residents and visitors from India or third countries
- Regarding SURNAME – If any applicant wants to add/shift surname from the given name may be allowed subject to production of at least two public documents in the said name. For example, if an applicant held a passport in the name of SANJU MOHAN PRASAD with the SURNAME is blank, he may be allowed to enter SANJU MOHAN or SANJU as the FIRST NAME and PRASAD or MOHAN PRASAD as SURNAME.
- Change/add in Surname subsequent to marriage
If your surname has changed subsequent to marriage and you want to apply for a new passport in your married name, you will need to submit an affidavit for change/add in surname
(affidavit for change of name after marriage doc) together with your passport application along with the following additional documents:
If you have got married:
- Copies of your spouse’s passport/Aadhar Card/Voting Card
Please note that you must submit complete application with relevant documents. In case of an Incomplete application due to any missing relevant document will not be processed and there could be delay than usual processing time.
Applications are accepted at the Embassy counter only on working days between 0900-1200.